The Winter Solstice Celebration will take place at the Cesar Chavez Memorial Solar Calendar in the park on Saturday afternoon, December 21, from 4 to 5 pm. Sunset is at 4:50. The weather looks good, but dress warmly and bring rain gear just in case — the weather is part of the experience.
Alan Gould of the Lawrence Hall of Science will MC the event. He will address topics such as:
- What does solstice really mean?
- Why is the day of latest sunrise different from the day of earliest sunset?
- What different holiday observances happen at this time of year and what do they mean in different religions and cultures?
He is happy to address Solstice questions you may bring to the event.
- Autumn Equinox Gathering Sept. 22
- Summer(?) Solstice
- Winter Solstice Gathering December 21
- Canceled: Winter Solstice at the Park Monday Dec. 21
- Solstice Review
- Park Packed for Planets
- Amazing Solstice
- Winter Solstice Celebrated at Solar Calendar
- No Winter Solstice Gathering
- Winter Solstice Gathering